Australian Department of Defence
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has been optimizing its higher command and control (C2) arrangements since the Iraq War in 2003. In part this was driven by the imperative to establish a Joint Headquarters in a new location that would, for the first time, fully integrate higher operational planning and specialist support functions. At the same time, Defence had to achieve significant manpower savings mandated by government. The challenge for Defence was to develop a C2 structure that was fully integrated, effective and efficient, while simultaneously delivering personnel savings. Defence has used Noetic since 2003 to assist in the review, implementation and refinement of its higher C2 arrangements.
WHAT NOETIC DID
Noetic has worked in close collaboration with a number of Chiefs of Defence Force, commanders and headquarters’ staff across a range of tasks:
- Supporting partner in the Molan Review into the ADF’s higher C2 arrangements.
- Conducted a strategic review into the lessons (including C2) during the planning and prosecution of the Iraq War.
- Conducted an independent review (the ‘Noetic Review’) for the Chief of Defence Force into changes that had been implemented to the ADF’s higher C2 arrangements following the Molan Review.
- Supported partner in the Wilson Review to establish the higher C2 structures and arrangements the Joint Operations Command including the new headquarters and the Military Strategic Commitments Division. This work also identified savings of 370 personnel from the C2 function, in line with government direction.
- Undertook an organizational review of the Headquarters Joint Operations Command to reconcile personnel allocation against specific functions in order to optimize the functioning of the headquarters.
- Undertook a scoping review of the lessons from the ADF’s strategic execution of C2.
Defence has made significant improvements to its higher C2 arrangements and accomplished the personnel efficiencies required. The transition to these new arrangements has been one of the largest organizational change programs in Defence. The work allowed Defence to reconceptualize how its leadership commanded and controlled operations. Noetic’s involvement from the outset and consequent knowledge and experience has made us a trusted partner able to assist with any refinements to Defence’s C2 arrangements.