Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
The Border Protection Command (BPC) was set up in March 2005 as a functional joint Command made up of the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service and the Australian Defence Force. The broad mission of the BPC is to coordinate the protection of Australian assets, the interception of shipping and counter terrorism in the offshore environment. Noetic was engaged to assist in creating BPC’s operating arrangements to undertake its mission. Noetic has continued to provide implementation support to BPC as it has matured.
WHAT WE DID
Noetic has worked in close collaboration with the Commanders and staff of BPC across a range of tasks:
- The development (drafting, consultation and negotiation) of Memoranda of Understanding with the National Counter Terrorism Committee, the Australian Federal Police and state/territory police forces including information and intelligence sharing.
- Development and oversight of the implementation of Information Management Strategy and Action Plan that integrated Customs, Coast Watch and Defence Information Communications Technology and information management capabilities.
- Development of documentation requirements (policy, directives, plans, guidelines, standard operating procedures etc.).
- Strategic planning for BPC.
- Review of the Guide to the Australian Maritime Security Arrangements including briefing to the Joint Maritime Advisory Group.
- Plan Forge – Organizational Redesign and Strategic Workforce Planning in which we evaluated options for a co-located and/or integrated headquarters.
- Crisis and Deliberate Planning course design, delivery and implementation for BPC Maritime Counter Terrorism.
- Complex Planning Course design and delivery to facilitate certification of Headquarters BPC in preparation for the G20.
BPC has matured as an organization with a crucial operational role in the protection of Australia’s borders through Noetic’s implementation support. The trust and understanding developed between both organizations has provided BPC with a safe set of hands and an ‘assurance partner’ to assist whenever the need arises. Importantly, the benefit of this strong relationship allows an agile response to access support to a broad range of areas and functions.